Thursday, January 21, 2010

How to Make Art for Zero Dollars

Wanted to share a few things with you. Do you like free art? Rhetorical question, I realize. Of course you do. I’ll get to that later. First, I wanted to share a quick “after” with you (the frame).  Don't judge me for not touching up the spots above the frame...we hung it too high and I HAD to have it lowered.







Unfortunately, I don’t have a “before” picture because I did this before I began thinking about blogging and obsessively taking pictures. This frame was a gift from an uncle of mine. He had many health problems and was giving many of us something to remember him by. One evening when we had them over for dinner, he brought an antique gold frame with him. Apparently, he had repaired an old frame in need of some TLC and decided to gold leaf it.

I loved the shape and detail of my new goodie, but the gold leaf, not so much. So I got out my trusty friend, white spray paint. I LOVE the results. Once painted white, the details of the frame really popped. This quickly became my favorite frame.




I hung the frame over our console table in the entryway. While I loved the empty frame look, when the holidays came, I thought it needed a little pop of color.

While shopping the house, I found a placemat I had left over from another project. (Another post for another day).



I pinned the placemat to the wall using some map pins I had on hand. Now I love how the pattern fits in the frame with a little wall border that looks like a mat. As of right now, I plan on leaving it up all year since the color fits with our scheme (or at least until I’m bored with it). I used the placemat because it was on hand and FREE, but there are so many options – scrap fabric, wallpaper, wrapping paper.




So have you ever used a placemat as art? What about any other kitchen textile? Do you think it’s working?  Hope you like it Uncle Al.  I think of you everytime I see it!  We miss you...

Linking to:
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Make it Your Monday @ The Twice Remembered Cottage
Trash to Treasure Tuesdays @ Reinvented
DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage


8 comments:

  1. I love it! That frame is beautiful. I think the placemat looks great, but I think I would've grooved on the empty frame too.
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input Teri, I'm sure I'll get bored of it shortly and go back to au nautral!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful!!! i have supplies @ home to try this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I'll admit I've never thought to hang a placemat on the wall, but that looks fabulous! Love the frame, love the green print. Can I share this in my Trash to Treasure Round-up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this frame and such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea. I have a beautiful, old gold frame under my bed just WAITING for something to happen to it....I had used it for a shadow box in the past, but broke the glass and never did anything more with it.....it can come back to life AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much it has been a very good guide, now to make art for zero dollars is without a doubt simple and easy utilizing your guidance. Thank you

    ReplyDelete